Patient Engagement
App

 

The Challenge

A startup needed a program to help medical insurance companies message their patientsWe were asked to create a patient engagement app that could be marketed as “data-driven.” 

Our Goal : Designing a reporting dashboard for the startup to present to insurance execs


My Role: UX Writer

 

The Team: 3 UX designers and myself

 

Timeline: 3 weeks

Research

Our app needed to send a lot of messages, so I looked at Mailchimp and Constant Contact to find stats that would fit users' mental models.

Group 557.png

User Flows

We used user interviews to create our user personas and mapped out the steps they'd need to accomplish their goals.

Group 560.png

Listening For Our Voice

I reviewed interview transcripts to create voice guidelines that would make our users feel comfortable. The app's voice was to be helpful, informative and collegial. We kept our tonality relatively consistent throughout the flows.

Group 591.png

Solution

We interviewed users and formed our problem statement:
How can we use communication data to improve health outcomes?

The solution was to turn data into insights that improve future campaigns. Users would see which health campaigns were effective, and which customers were engaged.

 

We made our app unique by including demographics- a factor users said influenced healthcare.

The User Is Always Right

Our app was text-focused, so we prototyped with full copy and did usability testing with 12 users.

Their feedback showed us where to improve our text.

Here’s the first iteration of the member dashboard page: 

Scannable Stats

Users told us the demographic boxes took them a long time to read, so I removed descriptive text to reduce the cognitive load.

Group 574.png

Spelling Out Functions

It took most users more than a minute to find the “export” and “send campaign” functions within the hamburger menu. So I created separate buttons for those actions.

Group 576.png

Redefining Engagement

Most users couldn't tell exactly what “engagement rate” meant, so I redefined it in terms of clicks and responses.

Group 556.jpg

Rewriting for Readability

Our microcopy included jargon that could confuse first-time users, so I rewrote all technical terms into simpler language.

This improved our Flesch Kincaid Grade Level score from 6.3 to 4.5.

Group 582.png

Useful + Usable = Marketable

After tweaking the text and some other changes, we held another round of usability testing.

 

Our system usability score rose from 70 to 82.7.

Our startup client successfully marketed the platform to insurance companies.

Group 592.png

Try It Out

Click on the screen below to check out our prototype.

Group 589.png